About Me

Joey and I met a few years ago, fell quickly in love with one another and started our family together. We have 4 beautiful little girls that keep us on our toe's. When I was younger I imagined what my life would be like and what my kids would ask me, the conversations and the things I would say to my children. Never did I imagine life would be this great

January 23, 2012

December brings apples!

   The next thing I waited anxiously for was apples!!! I ordered 40lbs from a farm & they arrived in December.   I was so excited the day I picked them up.  I knew I was going to make A LOT of apple pie filling.  Everyone in my family loves apples and we eat them almost every day.  Surprisingly, we all we're excited to pick them up and get started.   I borrowed my Mother in laws apple peeler, I had all the mason jars I needed and the recipe I planned on using for the pie filling.  The girls and Joey started peeling the apples and I started prepping to make my apple pie filling.  I found a really good recipe on Pinterest.com - for anyone who hasn't checked this website out, it is a MUST!  Its my new favorite "Go To" website.   We spent the day peeling, eating and canning apples.  Joey and I really enjoyed doing this with the girls as a family.  It's something we all seem to enjoy doing together.  The girls also seem to be more willing to eat this stuff when they help me out. 






     FYI:  Putting apples in ice cold water prevents them from browning too fast!




                                        I know this is blurry, but I had to add it in. 






We all took turns peeling apples.  The girls did most of my 40lbs, I think I got to peel two!   Once they were peeled, cleaned and cut, I put them in a cinnamon syrup and canned them.   The apples I got were HUGE.  I ended up canning 17 quart jars of apples and didn't want to do anymore.  I decided to find something else to make out of them.   I decided on Apple Butter.  I found another great recipe on Pinterest.com.  My recipe called for the apples to simmer in a crock pot for about 18 hrs.  My house smelled like apples and reminded me of Christmas.   Once my apple's we're done cooking in the crock pot, I put them in jars and sealed them.  My Apple Butter turned out fantastic!  I look forward to making lots more of the pie filling and the Apple Butter.  Below are my finished products:

                                                 Apple Butter

                                                Apple Pie filling



 While I was canning all these apples over a few days, I started doing Oranges too.  Smiths had a really good deal on them (.50 cents per 1lb!!!)  So I decided to do those at the same time. I also got some free tomatoes and made green hot salsa.  I do have pictures, but am choosing to just move on to all the other fun stuff! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment